Monday, April 25, 2011

Spiritually Speaking -- It's Easter!


"See, I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth  and every tree tthat has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food; and to all the animals of the land, alll the birds of the air, and all the living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food."  And so  it happened.  God looked at everything he had made, and he found it very good." (Genesis 1:30)

In my religious tradition, we hear this Scripture passage, along  with several others, every year at the beginning of the long vigil service the evening before Easter.  We sit in the dark and listen to a recounting of salvation history for Christians, beginning with this wonderful creation narrative from the book  of Genesis.

I guess that because I think alot anyway about the amounts and quality of foods I eat, I am particularly moved each year by the exerpt above.  And  it seems to me that even if I weren't immersed in Christianity, that I could as well ponder on the thought that God, or the Universe, or the big bang, or from whence ever we humans began living on this planet, saw to it from the beginning that there would be plenty of rich nutricious food to feed us, to maintain our well-being, to encourage us to learn and grow and become the magnificent creatures we are intended to be.

All the life-giving vitamins, minerals, and enzymes were given to us in abundance from the beginning.  We don't have to kill animals for food. We don't have to box, jar, pasteurize, can, or wrap any of it.  Just pick it off the tree and enjoy! Fabulous!

Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment