Monday, June 24, 2013

My Favorite Recipes- Blueberry Pie




I've been writing this blog for several years, very regularly for the last few months, and have never put a recipe on it. The time has come. I thought it would be fun to toss you a favorite recipe of mine periodically, and see if you like it as much as I do.
During my last 6 1/2 years as a high Raw Food eater, I have gathered a list of favorite "go-to" recipes.  Some are definite seasonal favorites, others work very well for, potlucks, or travelling, or times when quick and easy is a "must." This Blueberry Pie recipe fits into several categories, is an unquestionable favorite of mine, and a crowd pleaser among many different groups of people. I think I made it for the first time during my first year Raw, and I look forward to enjoying it again every summer. 

We are still in the growing season for blueberries, so they are plentiful at the stores, and



easy to find in the local organic spots near you.  I enjoy this recipe so much at this time of year--- I've made it about 4 times since May, and am still going strong.  So, enjoy!  This
Beautiful Berries!
simple, straightforward recipe that takes little time to prepare, and sets up in the refrigerator quickly.  It has a jelled blueberry filling and mounds of whole blueberries just like the traditonal blueberry pie.

BLUEBERRY PIE
(adapted from Living on Live Food, by Alissa Cohen)


Crust:
2 cups almonds
1/2 cups dates, pitted and soaked (medjools are the best-the big wrinkly ones)
1 - 2 TBS shredded raw coconut (optional)

Filling:
5 cups blueberries
2 bananas
1 1/2 TBS honey

For the Crust:
1.  If you're using the coconut, sprinkle it evenly  on the bottom of a pie pan.  It helps make the crust lift out of the pie plate easily.  This works for any raw pie with a nut/date crust.

2.  In a food processor, grind the almonds until fine. 

3.  Add the dates and blend until smooth.

4.  Remove from food processor and pat down into a pie plate.


Filling Mixture
For the Filling:
1.  In a food processor combine 4 cups of blueberries, 2 bananas, and 1 1/2 TBS of honey.  Blend until smooth.

3.  Remove from processor and add in 1 cup  of whole blueberries.

4. Pour into crust.

5. Refrigerate for at least 3  hours.


Note:  The blueberries are gelatinous and will cause the  pie to solidfy. Blueberries are very good for your eyesight, and contain potent antioxidants-- more than many other antioxidant foods.  Amazing.
Perfect for July 4th Celebrations


Enjoy!  And let me know how you liked it.  And watch for my next favorite recipe to appear.

Live Well  ~  ~  Eat Raw







No comments:

Post a Comment