Monday, July 15, 2013

Travelling Raw -- Homemade Trail Mix!


Assume nothing! Always bring some food
along for yourself
I addressed this travelling issue years ago in an early blog.  You may want to back up and see what I said there.  Today I want to reflect on a recent trip I took, and some of my observations about trying to maintain a high level of raw eating in the situation I was in.

We do lots of travelling these days, since my husband and I retired a couple of years ago.  We drive in the car to visit family, we stay in motels and hotels, and we travel by plane.  I like travelling by car, because it’s easy to pack a blender with me, and I know I’m only a grocery store stop away from my much favored green smoothie operation, no matter where we are. 

Travelling by plane is another animal, however, and for me, more challenging where my diet is concerned.  Last week, for example, I was at a meeting in another city. The sponsoring organization was very solicitous of my dietary preferences, and ordered me special salads, chose restaurants where there was a good salad option with lots of dark greens. 
Additionally, there was adequate fruit around in motel where we were meeting, so the situation washn't entirely bleak, by any means.  It was, though, boring.  apples, oranges, pears, and standard (no frills) salads were pretty much my fare.
Apples, oranges, pears -- beautiful!
Oh, but wait!  In a flurry to get myself to the plane on time, I had not prepared any pate`s which are normally good travel companions, and fun diversions from the “rabbit food.”.  In one sense, I admit, I could have done a better job of taking care of my own dietary preferences in that regard.  I did, however,  carry with me some raw bars, a knife for cutting up apples, and some extra fruit, including grapefruit, which I find very refreshing at the end of the day.
What I was happiest about, though, was that I had put together some of my own homemade trail mix, measured out into Snack bags in ½ cup servings. Having it available was a real treat. And that’s what I want to pitch to you today.
There are so many pre-made trail mixes, especially in airports, and they look enticing and well, maybe not so nutritionally deficient as some of the other things hanging on those many racks.  We all know, though, that a look at the ingredients on the wrapper of any one of those mixtures tells a grim story of salt, sugar, various fats, and a host of additives and preservatives.  Also, all the nuts and seeds that they contain have been roasted, rendering them nutrient deficient.  And, those innocent looking little packages are expensive as all get out!
Homemade trail mix - raw seeds and nuts,
and dried, unsugarred fruits
All that is to say that it’s a much better deal for your health and your pocket book if you make your own trail mix.  It’s very easy, so easy to put together, keeps a long time, and travels well under any conditions.  You can add or eliminate ingredients according to your own taste and diet preference, and you always have a ready source of a tasty energy booster.
Here is my approach.  You’ll find more fun and creative things to add as you go along. 
Begin in the bulk foods department .  I buy one of those medium sized bags of each of the following:
Raw nuts and seeds
-Raw Nuts and Seeds—almonds, Brazils, pecans, cashews, walnuts, filberts (hazel nuts), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds. (Macadamias and pine nuts don’t keep quite as well, and they are very expensive, so I skip them for trail mix.) Nuts are fattier than seeds, and seeds are more protein dense and less expensive. Buy them all raw so you get all the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes in  tact. 
-Dried fruits from the bulk bins or the packaged bulk shelves in Clover’s or other health food stores : raisins, currants, goji berries, figs, apricots,  etc. Others, which I then cut up, include papaya spears, mango slices, date rolls, pineapple, etc.   Take care to buy the ones that have no sulfur, sulfites or sugar included.  Sugar is more concentrated in dried fruits than in fresh, so don’t overdue.  It’s all about balance, and there’s lots of room for creativity.
-There are other bagged, raw berries that I like and are labeled “raw”, like golden berries and mulberry berries. 
Goji berries- high in anti--oxidants
and noted for increasing longevity.
-Raw cacao nibs add a really nice surprise chocolate treat in trail mix, and are high in magnesium and anti-oxidants.
Then I put these all together-- one cup of each thing, perhaps adding an extra half cup of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.  Suit yourself. This mixture will keep very well and travels very well.  Enjoy!!
Admittedly, buying all the ingredients can be a shock at the cash register.  I try not to flinch, remembering that I’m only going to eat ½ cup a day, and that everything I’m buying will keep for a very long time.  It’s an investment in my own health and well-being, after all, and far less costly than anything that’s packaged that even comes close to the same nutrient value.  It’s also a nice thing to have in my pantry at home when company comes by.
 Let me know how you do with this venture.  Respond below this post, so we all can benefit from your discoveries.  Happy Travelling.  Happy Healthy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment